Monday, April 22, 2013

Review: Cinder

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer



Things to know up front...

Recommended to: fantasy fans, YA fans

Rating: 9.5/10

Setting: China in the future (known as Commonwealth)

Content:

  • No sexual content.
  • No drug use in a non-medical sense.
  • Very small amounts of violence. The most noteworthy is that one character has a gun forced to her head, but this scene only lasts a moment. 
  • Very few swear words. 
  • Overall, appropriate for anyone that has a high enough reading level for it. 

In this fresh new take on a classic fairy tale, we meet Cinder, an oppressed, hardworking girl who also happens to be a cyborg. Cinder's life is not a particularly happy one, but she mostly knows what to expect of it until two things happen: Kai--the prince of Commonwealth--asks for her help and her sister falls prey to a plague that is ravaging the country. As things come to unravel in ways that she never imagined, Cinder finds out a life-changing secret about herself that could just change the world, too.

Well, first thing's first: I LOVED THIS! I had heard that it was a pretty good book, but "pretty good" is such an understatement!

First of all, the twist on "Cinderella" was so cool. I've always really enjoyed reading books based on fairy tales, but this has to be the most original concept I've ever come across! How on Earth the writer thought to make Cinderella a cyborg, I can't say, but I don't even care; I'm just so glad that she did.

And as for the "Cinderella" in this story, I just adored her. I have this image in my head of a saintly Disney Cinderella who is silently sad and sings with all kinds of furry creatures, but Cinder is--thankfully--nothing like that. Cinder's tough, strong, smart, and vocal. She's everything that you can want in a heroine, and you will unabashedly root for her through the entire story.

The next thing that I will say is something that I can't quite believe, so prepare yourself...I was totally into the love story. Usually the romance in books completely underwhelm me and fail to hold my interest because I hate love, but for some unknown reason, I really enjoyed reading about Cinder and Kai, though that could just be the five-year-old fairy tale fanatic in me that never died. I do choose to believe, however, that it's mostly due to the connection being extremely believable and well-written. You can actually understand why these two are interested in each other, and your heart breaks when things keep them apart.

The only thing that I have to complain about this book is that the final twist is pretty predictable, but I hardly cared because the rest of the story was so fantastic, thus only a 0.5 reduction in points.

Overall, this book is an absolute page-turner that I highly, highly recommend to any fairy tale lover/sci-fi fan/YA fan. I can almost 100% promise that you won't totally regret it (:

1 comment:

  1. Following you! ( saw your post on GR)
    Follow me back?

    www.lerenifleurleopard.blogspot.com
    www.purrfectlypickles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete